I can’t remember exactly why I decided to make these other than I knew they were going to be a gift to my great friend L. I can’t even tell you what made me go “L really needs a pair of boot cuffs” but something did and I made them. She’s told me she loves them and I got pictures way back in October 2015 when I gave them to her. She could be lying for all I know and I wouldn’t care. Because I asked her before hand if she would like some and she said yes. So if she doesn’t like them that’s on her 😉 But I really do think she does 🙂
The Ava Boot Cuff is from designer Michelle from Two Brother’s Blankets. I absolutely adore all her designs!! Her clothing is so amazing! Sadly, I have yet to make any of her other patterns 😦 One day though because I have several tops saved up for myself. Like the Camden Hat, Houston Hoodie, and Siesta Sweater just to name a few. If you’re not familiar with Michelle’s work you seriously need to go check her out. Like right now. Why are you still reading this?!
I used Red Heart Super Saver in Buff and Medium Thyme and a 5.5mm hook. Sadly, as with everything apparently, I wasn’t able to meet gauge. The pattern was simple enough that I was able to wing it for my measurements using the pattern as a guideline. And it worked out fabulous!! On the fourth round of the body of the cuff I changed to Medium Thyme and then back to Buff for the last two rows. Then to spice it up, I took a piece of the Medium Thyme and threaded it through the rows above and below the color stripe. And then I added a few buttons to each cuff as well. Now that I have boots that I wear pretty often I think I might need to whip myself up a pair, or two.
On the Hook:
- Bacon and Eggs Scarf
- Baby G’s things
- Saint Francis doll
This last part of the baby shower gift is a two parter. It’s part paid pattern and part my own made up stuff. I was seeing loveys everywhere and needed an excuse to make one. So when better than now, err then? It was my first one so it was a bit daunting. Especially the ones with just a head and arms then the blanket. And with only instructions reading along the lines of “sew arms and head to blanket” I was really put off of making them. What if I didn’t do it right and it didn’t look good? What if they fell off? Doubtful based on all the amigurumis I’ve made over the years. But I really was nervous and scared to make one. So I found this pattern for a Monkey Lovey by Jackie Ramsdell and decided to give it a shot.
I used Red Heart Super Saver in Coffee and Buff with 4.25mm (head) and 5.5mm hooks (blanket). I used the head pattern as written and just changed up eyes and ears. The eyes were supposed to be made in three pieces and sewn on top of eachother but I didn’t want to do that and just made one circle and changed colors each round. The same thing was to be done with the ears but I just changed colors. Looking back I either should have made two pieces (one coffee and one buff) and sewn them together. Or I should have made two pieces (one with both colors and one coffee) and sewn those together. Because the way I did it you’re able to see the color changes from the back. I didn’t even think of that. But I had probably waited til the last minute and was out of time as is.
Because arms and stuff scared me I just finished with the head. I didn’t want a regular back and forth blanket like the pattern had and instead did a regular granny square that measures 14 x 14 inches. I finished it off with the crab stitch aka reverse single crochet. If you don’t know what that is, I highly recommend looking it up! I love adding it to any size blankets for a super simple edging.
Overall I think it turned out rather cute 🙂 I’ll definitely be making more loveys in the future because they are a lot easier than full ami’s (umm hello! less parts to sew together) and they’re just as cute. Maybe one day I’ll conquer adding arms. So far that day hasn’t come yet. Maybe this year??
On the Hook
- Baby G’s things
- Bacon and Eggs Scarf
- Planned Pooling Scarf
Way back in January of 2015, my cousin C asked me if I could make her first born a pair of booties for her baptism. I felt so honored!! Of course I said yes!
Before then I had only worked with thread ONCE! I tried making a bookmark and failed. Miserably. So naturally I was really daunted by this project. But I stuck with it and made what I think are beautiful shoes. I used Maria Bittner of Pattern Paradise’s Italian Mary Janes pattern with Aunt Lydia’s Classic Crochet Thread white in size 10 with a 2mm hook.
We agreed to stay on the bigger side of estimated sizes because you never know how fast they’ll grow. Well little M didn’t really grow in the feet at all by April so these ended up being super big. Like an inch or so big. But with making them so far in advance that’s what we get.
My gauge matched but I still went down a hook size to get the length of the sole correct for the size I was making. After working with Maria on correcting her pattern these guys only took a few days to work up. These are my new go to baptism/christening booties if I ever have to make more 🙂
On The Hook:
- Hufflepuff Scarf
- Color Pooling Scarf
- Marvel Blanket
- Baby Girl items for 2 babies